Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Cormorant fishing







I think one of the most interesting things we did throughout our travels in Southern China was participate in cormorant fishing. A cormorant is a type of bird...this will explain rather than me writing it Interestingly enough, the picture in that wiki entry is from Erhai lake in Dali, where we went fishing. In Chinese it's called the sea. Along the coastal sections of the lake there are small fishing villages and some of them fish with Cormorant birds. We were able to take a little expedition with a few of these fisherman one morning.

It's amazing how much control the fisherman have over the birds. They actually respond to the fisherman's calls and always bring fish back to the boat like the good little birds that they are. Sometimes they are loured in by the fisherman when he dangles a little fish. Nonetheless, it's impressive. On our boat we must have watched the birds dive in and pull out more than 7 or 8 fish.

I've decided to just put all of my pictures up from this trip here. For your enjoyment I'll also include some thoughtful captions. As soon as I get pics from others on the trip I'll post them as well, so check back.

Being back in Beijing and getting back into the swing of work is quite nice I must say. I do like the adventure, but it's tiring.

4 comments:

mores said...

You gotta update that photo link. It just goes to the picasa homepage.

I want to see some more fishing with birds pics.

Gabel said...

Damn, mores my faithful reader. I'll get on it. I know what I did. Thanks

쓰레기통 여행 (The Voyage of Swill) said...

So absolutely no bait is required? Do you at least have to let the birds have a fish every so often?

Gabel said...

yeah, they give 'em a little one every so often.