Sunday, September 7, 2008

A little taste of home



The other day someone asked me what American food is. They wanted to know what Americans eat with examples for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I've tackled this question before on numerous occasions, but it just never gets easier. Usually I end up concluding that unless you live near a decent city the food is boring. Having traveled around quite a bit after college it didn't take me long to realize that while America topples many countries in various cultural aspects, food is not one of them.

Now, having said that, there is one meal that America does master and that's a proper breakfast. This is something that I can't live without and I'm sure that there are a few of you out there that would probably agree (J?). Unfortunately, this proper breakfast can only be taken in on occasion unless your looking for a faster route to heart disease.

We heard about a place called Grandma's Kitchen that serves up western food and specializes in American style breakfast. I've been craving it for a few weeks now and we finally made it out. My expectations are usually pretty low when it comes to western style restaurants in Asia, but Grandma's Kitchen is a gem. Hard wood floors, flowers, rafter like ceilings and grandma oriented decor set the mood for this place. My first impression was Cracker Barrel without the Cookie Cutter cheesiness feel if that makes sense. The menu has all of your favorites, so there's no need to get into details. We had a western omelette, sausage gravy/biscuits, french toast, bacon, scrambled eggs, fresh baked bread and coffee with refills. Typically the Chinese don't understand the concept of free refills.

So, when you come to visit this is where we'll go for breakfast at least once.

1 comment:

mores said...

I miss Cracker Barrel. It was tough getting a good American breakfast in LA. The best I had in California was in San Luis Obispo. New York is no problem. I love just about every little egg cart out there on the streets. The one on 23rd and 6th (right in front of Best Buy) is my standby. We will have to hit Grandma's when I visit.