Sunday, July 6, 2008

Jetlag = Blurred account of the last 3 days


Jetlag. Those of you that have suffered feel my pain, but damn do I suffer. From what I understand and according to Luhan's mother, it's much harder to readjust your body to the 12 hour difference if you're the type of person with a regular schedule. I'm pretty regular when it comes to that. Anyway, I've been falling asleep in various places like award ceremonies, Ikea, the supermarket and the dinner table. At this point I think the worst is over. The second day we were here Luhan was invited to attend this absolutely insane award ceremony that was to be broadcast as a primetime special on television. I'll explain a little background information on a second hand account as there are some things I don't fully understand. In 1993 Luhan and a few other girls were chosen by the Chinese Government and sent to Monte Carlo, France to represent China in a pep rally for China to become the host of the 2000 Olympics. I think they sang some old communist songs or something like that. Obviously, even with their efforts, China didn't become the 2000 host and it went to Sydney, but the girls became sort of famous for their support during the time constantly appearing on the news. So, the award ceremony celebrated hundreds of people that helped contribute to the 2008 Olympics including past gold medal winners, but also pop stars and movie stars. It was staged in this monstrous stadium unlike anything I've ever seen. This is a link to a Chinese news station video clip. Copy the whole link including "mms://". It should open in windows media player. mms://media.xinhuanet.com/guoneixinwen/080704211701_wanghanlin_xinwenlianbo_300_20080704_12.wmv
After this, we went to an after party where more awards were given out(above picture). This was held in a banquet hall with round tables full of food, wine and Chinese liqueur. I was definitely the only foreigner in this place. The commissioner of the Chinese Olympic committee was handing out awards and making his away around to each table toasting with shots of Chinese liqueur. He saw me and said, "Holy Shit!" No, just kidding, we chatted a bit. This was quite an introduction to Beijing I must say.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. Thank you for confirming that Luhan is an international superstar. When do we get the mp3s of her vocal talents?

2. Is the beard missed?

mores said...

I'm just wondering how many poor unsuspecting people you're gonna call "liver nips" over there. I know you peppered the fine people of Korea with your Pittsburghese or is it Exportese or maybe Gabelese. That reminds me of your final English class where all the students learned special words like gum bands, yinz, red up, and the proper way to pronounce fire.

DJ, I think the beard is history. Imagine a jetlagged Tron trying to trim his beard... no I think he shaved it prior.

Gabel said...

I think Luhan is keeping me under control. I did scream at a guy in a huge 5 floor electronics store that was in my face screaming things like "Samsung!" "memory stick!" "PC!"

Chad Gleason said...

You might want to change "some old communist songs" to "very excellent songs about our venerated leaders." Bloggers can get in trouble.

Congratulations on making the trip. Here are the instructions about cheering at the olympics I told you about.


http://www.radio86.co.uk/beijing-2008/olympic-news/6722/how-to-cheer-during-the-olympics

Unknown said...

Matt

Stay clear away from the Moutai it is very potent and will knock you over. When I was doing business in Beijing with the Metro our Chinese business collogues loved to get us drunk on their infamous whiskey. "Gan Bei"

U Ron